Soup Borshch as I’ve mentioned earlier is another traditional and popular soup among Russian. Nothing is better than hot soup in the cold winter. It’s also good for health. If you’re looking for diet food. It’s your choice. If you’re vegetarian just don’t add meat. Easy cooking, you probably find necessary materials in your fridge.
Ingredients: (for serving 3-4 people)
2 medium boiled beetroots, cut into 1 inch thick
1 large onion, medium dice
1/2 pounds of beef, cut into 1/2 x 1 inch thick
1 cup diced carrot
2 cups sliced cabbage
1/2 can black beans, rinsed (optional)
2 boiled tomatoes/ canned tomatoes, peeled and diced
2 medium tomatoes, medium dice
6 cups of water
1 1/2 tbsp. vinegar/ juice of 1 lime, or to taste
3 cloves garlic, minced
3 bay leaf
1/2 tea spoon black pepper (optional)
1 tbsp. vegetable oil
1 tbsp. salt to taste
1 tbsp. sugar to taste
1/2 cup drill
1/2 cup parsley, slightly dice
1/4 cup sour cream
How to cook:
1. To prepare the beef broth, boil the water ( I use soup pot) then put the meat, onion, dill, bay leafs, black pepper and boil it into medium heat.
2. When it simmers, turn the heat down to low, let it boiled about 1½ hrs.
3. While waiting, cook beetroots, tomatoes in frying pan with vegetable oil. Add water, vinegar/lemon juice and mix it well. let it simmers then turn to low heat. Stir it occasionally and wait for about 1 hr.
4. When the beef broth almost ready, in another pan,
fry garlic, cabbage, potatoes and sautéd it until tender (add some water if needed)
5. Put the cooked cabbage and potatoes to the broth, wait for another 15 min.
6. Lastly, add the cooked beetroot&tomato to the pot, season it with salt and pepper, mix it well and it’s done!.
When serving, garnished the soup with sour cream, add the parsley/dill/chives on top. Serve together with original Russian black beard or any beard you prefer. Enjoy!